Kent Wayne Snyder, 1959-2008

Kent Wayne Snyder, 1959-2008

Monday, July 21, 2008

Missy Caskey's Memorial Speech


This is where my brother should be here today speaking before you all. Every word that he would say would be chosen and delivered with such sincere precision.

I do know without a doubt that the first words he would breathe before saying anything else would be “thank you.” So I tell you on behalf of my brother Kent, my family, and myself, “thank you.”


Kent had not lived in Kansas City in twenty years therefore so many of you traveled great distances to be here with us today and we are so very grateful that you have made the journey, “thank you.”

Kent was always available to help me, give me advice, send me an article or quote for motivation, but sometimes that help would be a “no” because he knew that the greater gift would be for me to look back and say “I did that.” His influence shaped me to be a better sister, daughter, professional, and most of all a better mother. Kent’s love and influence flows through me to my children, and from my children to their children, and will continue to flow for generations to come.


I know from reading and hearing so many stories these past few weeks that there are many people here today that were also affected by Kent’s love and because of that effect, Kent’s love for us – we are all better people. There is no way to measure how his presence in this world improved our lives, the lives we touch, and so on. I would like say “thank you” to my brother – “thank you” for your life, your love, and your sacrifice for us.

I’ve heard many times from my mother that when I was born and brought home from the hospital Kent was so proud and overjoyed that he taped a bow on my head, held me in his arms, and carried me around the neighborhood showing off his new baby sister to all of the neighbors. Kent has always loved me and my family with that same joy and affection as when I was first brought home from the hospital as a precious gift.

So now with this video tribute we’re going to show you, it is my turn to present and share my brother Kent Snyder with all the love, pride, and joy that he expressed to me and others.

Let me conclude with a line from a song Kent love to sing with me, “I will love you forever, forever and ever, Amen.

No comments: